Thursday, October 15, 2009

True Humility

Here lately I've really be convicted around the idea of Humility. To me the basic definition of humility is the opposite of pride. I've always considered myself a very humble person, in fact I've taken pride in my humbleness. To me this seems counter productive. You see there is a "true" humility and a "false" humility. Me considering myself a very humble person comes from a "false" humility. I purposely made less of my talents, gifts and accomplishments to receive praise, affirmation and admiration of others. Then when I was given what I was so desperately seeking...I acted humble, not worthy...what a poser.

So where does "true" humility come from? True humility comes from the fear of the Lord and results in knowing your place in His story and being content with it.

Proverbs 15:33 - The fear of the Lord teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor.

Proverbs 22:4 - Humility and the fear of the Lord bring wealth and honor and life.

"True" humility is rewarded by the Lord, "false" humility which comes from pride (in my case a passive aggressive pride) is sin.

So how are you doing with humility? Take this little quiz...or better yet let those around you answer these questions on your behalf:

1. Are you teachable?
2. How do you respond to correction or rebuke?
3. Do you repent quickly and completely?
4. Are you considerate of other people?
5. Do you serve and receive service well?
6. Are you consistently aware of Grace in your life?
7. Do you disagree…agreeably?
8. How much attention and affirmation do you require?

Philippians 2:3 - Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

Jesus is the ultimate example of "true" humility. For God to come to the earth in human form, to live a poor carpenters life to serve those He came to die for, to save. Jesus is Humility.

For a preview of my next posting regarding Humility and Leadership consider this verse:

1 Peter 5:6 - Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.

No comments:

Post a Comment