Monday, March 22, 2010

What has mastered you?

1 Corinthians 6:12 - "Everything is permissible for me" - but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me" - but I will not be mastered by anything.

In context these words come just before a lecture on sexual immorality; but they apply to so much in our lives.  In a culture where we have so many things we can do; the questions we should really be asking ourselves continually are:

Is this beneficial?
Is this mastering me?

How often have you asked these questions about the things you are doing in your life?  If you're like me it's not very often and probably while your feeling guilty about something.  Usually we only think about things like this when we are outside of our normal routine or have experienced something in our life to make us consider where we are at in life.

But we should be considering this all the time in our lives.  When we are watching TV, when we are shopping, when we are doing what ever we are doing...is this beneficial? Is this mastering me?

Is what I'm doing truly beneficial in my life?  Does it bring me closer to the Lord?  Is it the right thing for me to be doing?  How does it affect my family?  How does it affect others around me who know I'm a Christian? What else could I be doing?

Am I addicted to it?  Does this dictate my schedule, how I spend my money, etc...?  Does doing this create a hardship in other areas of my life?

Let's make sure we are spending our time on things beneficial and focus on breaking the chains of bondage where they exist in our lives.

John 8:36 - So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Let's live like we believe...that we are free.  God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment