Monday, December 13, 2010

Not helpful...

Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 6:12 - "Everything is permissible for me" - but not everything is beneficial.  "Everything is permissible for me" - but I will not be mastered by anything.

He also repeats this in 1 Corinthians 10:23 - "Everything is permissible for me" - but not everything is beneficial.  "Everything is permissible for me" - but not everything is constructive.

Another translation says "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful"

For the last few weeks I've had a recurring thought in my head.  A thought that I have really appreciated, because I know that it's for my benefit.  In many occasions I have had the thought "not helpful" come to mind.  I've had this thought while watching television, and realize that what I was watching was "not helpful".  I've had this thought while walking down the street or in the grocery store and noticing attractive ladies..."not helpful".  I've had this thought when I've been searching the kitchen for something to eat...even though I just ate a short time ago..."not helpful".  There have been many more.

This recurring thought has helped me to identify things in my life that are permissible, but not beneficial, or not helpful in my walk with the Lord.  It's helped me to identify things in my life that are precursor to sinful thoughts and actions.  I know the thought has been from the Holy Spirit working in my life, transforming me from the inside out.

So what things are permissible or lawful that are not helpful to you?  What things do you do; that take your focus off of God?  What things move you just a bit further from Him when you watch or do them?  I imagine this list is different in some aspects (depending our our weakness) but the same in many others for all of us.  What are your idols?

1 Corinthians 10:31 - So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God

Lord I pray that you will reveal to us the things in our life that are permissible, that are lawful, that are fully in our rights that are not helpful or beneficial to us.  I pray that you would place that still small voice in each and everyone of us, pointing out each as we go through our days.  Then I pray that we would have the ears to hear you, and the strength to walk away from those things and to walk closer to you.  I pray that in all that we do, that we do it for Your glory Jesus...not ours.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment