Tuesday, December 29, 2009

God the Pursuer

How awesome is it that we have a God who pursues us?

Right from the beginning after the first sin God pursued his creation.

Genesis 3:8-9 - Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the Garden. But the Lord God called to the man, "Where are you?"

God knew where they were, but he pursued them...he called out to Adam...Where are you? God wasn't distant, He was there with them. He came to them.

Genesis 4:6-7 - The the Lord said to Cain, "Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it."

When God saw Cain was angry because his brothers offering was favored, God tried to counsel Cain. Why are you angry? God knew why Cain was angry but was trying to point out to Cain that his anger was a result of his (Cain's) actions...not God's.

God pursued Cain, try to reason with him, tried to show him the error of his way.

And He has continued to pursue and counsel us all through history and continues today.

Prior to me coming back to Him I was haunted by a specific question over and over. "Where is Joe?" I would hear this question continually, in the shower, while driving, at work, etc... I thought I was going crazy...but I now know that it was His pursuit of me. He was pursuing ME? How do I know? As soon as I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior...the questions changed. I was no longer haunted by that question.

He is pursuing all of us all the time. Even in our sin, our troubles, our unbelief...he is pursuing us and will continue to pursue until He comes back.

How is he pursuing you?

Where are you? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted?

No comments:

Post a Comment