Monday, May 23, 2011

Focus on the gospel!

Do you focus too much on you and your performance than you do on Jesus, on the gospel?

I know that I do. I put too much stock in ME and not enough in HIM. I tend to focus on what I am doing, where I am at, what I am failing at, what I am successful at...all in the mindset of earning and not losing what Jesus did for me on the cross.

But when I look back at the successes in my life, those times when I overcame great obstacles, gave up sin in my life, made improvements...it was at a time when I was focusing on what Jesus did, instead of what I've done or am doing. When I focus on what Jesus did for me, when I get a glimpse the pain he endured for me and my sin...that is when I am transformed, that is when I am changed. When I'm focused on Him, He changes me, He transforms me, He makes me a better man.

Colossians 1:13-14 - For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

He has rescued us, brought us into His kingdom...we are redeemed, forgiven, justified and when we focus on the life and work of Jesus...we are transformed from the inside out. When we focus on the life and work of Jesus we are changed not by our actions, our work or our obedience...but by His.


The other day I heard this quote from Timothy Keller "The gospel is not just the A-B-C’s but the A to Z of Christianity."

The gospel of Jesus Christ our savior is the beginning, middle and ending, it is everything. Focus on what Jesus did for you, and you will be changed. 

Focus on what Jesus did for you...and don't stop until you meet him face to face.

1 comment: