Friday, September 4, 2009

Rough Couple Weeks

It's been a rough couple weeks for me spiritually. So busy and so tired that I haven't carved out my normal time for God through prayer or reading the Word. I can really tell the difference as my attitude the last few days has gone down hill.

I like to look for analogies in different things and noticed one in my life the last couple weekends. Each weekend (mainly on Saturday) I'd get up have breakfast with the family and then we would be off on our Saturday errands (shopping mostly). Part way through the day I would become very thirsty (realizing I haven't had any water all day), of course it would be while driving or in a store where there is no good source to quench the thirst. It would be all I could think about, dominating me and my thoughts...then we would get home, unload the groceries or whatever and before I knew it I hadn't thought about my thirst and we are pulling away from the house and I'm still thirsty. I didn't think once about it when it was convenient to get a nice cool drink of water.

I think for many of us this is how our relationship with God goes. When things are going on and we start to feel stressed about the problems in our lives we start to think about Him and ask Him for help. He is all we can think about for a bit; then we get distracted and we don't think about Him for a while...or until we realize we are thirsty for Him again.

In both of these cases the answer seems so simple. If we drink here and there through out our day we don't become thirsty. If we give moments to God here and there through out our day then we remain in Him and don't have to go searching when times aren't good.

Where my analogy falls apart...while a glass of water might not always be available; God is always available. His love for us is so great that He is always there. What happens when we don't spend these little moments with Him is that WE drift and become less connected to Him. But by His mighty grace and the precious gift of Jesus no matter how much we drift; he always will take his children back...we just need to start giving Him those moments again.

No comments:

Post a Comment