Monday, January 24, 2011

Perseverance

The last few months have been some of the most difficult for me in quite some time, especially with regards to ministry and gospel community.  A pattern has emerged the last few months; at the beginning of each weekend something significant has happened.  Something different each weekend, that has resulted in consuming time and energy and taking away from what the focus should be.

Last week was no exception as the phone began to ring Friday night around 10:30pm and once again that significant something.  As I was sharing what happened on Friday night with a close friend he pointed out that each of these events was working to refine me, to develop my leadership.  Then last night as I continued my reading through the new testament, I started reading James.

James 1:2-4 - Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

While the last few months have been difficult in some aspects, they have been incredibly good in others.  The last few months I have found myself having more faith, putting my problems in Gods hands and listening for his answer.  I have found myself spending more time in the Bible, more time journaling and praying.  As I read these words in James I realized just how much I have been praying for perseverance these last few months.  I have been praying for strength, perseverance, endurance...  And now that I can look back and see what he has been doing in my life...I can see where he is delivering answers to those prayers.

Lord I pray that as we face trials of many kinds in our life, that we would recognize them as opportunities to grow in faith and in perseverance.  That in the trials we would turn to You and not lean on our understanding or limited view.  Lord my hope is that we would pray for Your guidance and direction to get us through the trials and not merely that we pray that You would remove them from our life.  It's in going through them that our faith grows stronger.  In Jesus's name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment