Thursday, November 19, 2009

Ephesians 5:25 - Jesus gave us a model of how to treat our wives.

I think that Jesus gave us a model of what our role should be in our marriage and with our family.

Ephesians 5:25 – Husbands love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up to her (emphasis added)

What does that mean? What did Jesus do for us…his church? How did he love his church?

  • He loved – unconditionally, no matter what we have done
  • He led – He was a great leader
  • He taught – He was a great teacher…he invented parables
  • He solved problems - He was a master problem solver
  • He showed us the path to God – our spiritual leader
  • He took responsibility for our sin; not the blame but he shouldered the responsibility
  • He forgave us
  • And finally He died for us so that we may live

This is the model that Jesus gave us. This is what we are to be for our wife and family; what Jesus was to His church.

In my marriage:

  • I have not always loved the way I should love
  • I have not led the way I should lead
  • I have not taught the way I should teach
  • I have not solved problems the right way
  • I have not always been the spiritual leader
  • I have not always took the responsibility that I should have

My marriage is far from perfect; I don’t know anyone who has that perfect marriage. But we have a model to follow, a blueprint to study and we can keep working on it.

Men what are your priorities?

I think they should be:

  1. Jesus – your relationship with God
  2. Spouse – your marriage
  3. Children
  4. Job – providing for the family
  5. Ministry – serving, feeding, taking care of His people
  6. Everything else

Jesus has to be #1 – If we can’t get this one right, everything else suffers…

Our wives cannot be #1 – and I know for some of us they are; going to our wife for affirmation, confirmation makes them god in our life. Affirmation and confirmation need to come from God. If we give our spouse this power, at some point we will be crushed.

Our kids cannot come before God or our wife – and for some of us they are. Do you put the kid’s schedules ahead of yours…do you skip your study and prayer time with God, do you skip date nights with the wife because of the kids?

Our careers cannot come before God, our wives or our kids – and for some of us it does.

Becoming the man Jesus called us to be in our marriages and in our families mean these are the priorities…And if we follow the model that Jesus gives us...we should be right in line with these priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment