Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Psalms 37:4

Psalms 37:4 - Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

I really like this Psalm. To know that our Lord loves us such that He would be concerned about the desires of our heart. Howard Thurman said “Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

What makes you come alive? Do you really know? Or do you just have an idea but your not real sure? The reason I'm pushing here is that us humans are not very good predictors of what will make us happy, what will make us come alive. To a certain extent we need to experience things in life to find out if they make us come alive or not. We often fall in love with the "idea" of something only later to find we really didn't like that something.

I'm the kind of person who would get so caught up in trying to figure out what makes me come alive, what my hearts desires are; that I would forget about the first part of the verse.

What does it mean to delight yourself in the Lord? When I look at these words I see two possible interpretations; that I find delight in the Lord, or that I make myself a delight to the Lord. What does it mean to you?

I looked up the word delight and one of the definitions is "something that gives great pleasure". Does being in the Lord give you great pleasure? If the Lord is looking at your life are you bringing Him great pleasure? I like the idea of this being a two way street. I should both delight in the Lord and what he is doing in my life and want to be a delight to the Lord by how I live my life.

I think that if we focus on "delight yourself in the Lord", the Lord will reveal our true hearts desires in time.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment